Most of the time, bigger is better, and that's not just in Texas. More square footage means more space, privacy and room for more family - more stuff. Here are a few ways to make it seem like there is just a little more of it - space that is.
- Use vertical instead of horizontal elements. Tall bookcases and a floor lamp will raise the eye up.
- Paint the walls and ceiling different shades of the same color (preferably light). Make the ceiling lighter than the wall color (avoid pure white) but add a darker floor and trim.
- Let natural light in by minimizing window treatments. Extend the rods beyond the width of the window so the entire window is visible.
- Go for mirrors. Consider an oversized mirror or glass tables.
- De-clutter your surfaces. Choose accent pieces carefully. Store collectibles and magazines in decorative boxes and baskets.